Sisters Catherine Grant and Mary Stafford celebrate their diamond jubilee
On Saturday 20th September, Sister Catherine Grant and Sister Mary Stafford celebrated their 60th Diamond Jubilee of Religious Profession. The ceremony was held at the Sisters of St. Joseph Congregational Chapel, Lochinvar.
It was a beautiful spring day for the occasion and some 250 guests were warmly welcome by the Lochinvar Sisters in honour of the service given by nine of their sisters celebrating jubilees.
Sister Catherine Grant
Catherine was born in Canowindra and entered with the Sisters of St. Joseph, Perthville, on the 11th Oct, 1951 taking the name of Sister Maria Goretti. She was later professed on the 30th March, 1954.
Catherine served in the following parishes; Gilgandra, Portland, Gulargambone, Blayney, Woodstock, Manildra, Perthville, Canowindra, Oberon, and West Bathurst. After doing general and community nursing training, Catherine worked at Mt. Druitt for a few years and then worked as a community nurse in the Gilgandra Shire for 14 years.
Sister Mary Stafford
Mary was born in Molong and entered with the Sisters of St. Joseph Perthville on the 2nd Feb 1952, taking the name of Sister Dominic. She was later professed on the 19th Oct 1954.
Mary taught at Perthville, West Bathurst, Dunedoo, Coolah, Gilgandra and Canowindra. Mary completed her prison chaplaincy and worked at the Bathurst jail for eight years and Lithgow jail for nine years. Mary also provided pastoral care for two years to St Anne’s Home, Perthville, five years to the Parish of West Bathurst and two years to the Parish of Rockley/Burraga.
The jubilee celebration mass was held in the chapel on the grounds of Penola House, Lochinvar and guests were invited to join those who celebrated their jubilees, for a luncheon at the Therry Centre, East Maitland.
By Cath Woolfrey