Sisters of Mercy
The Sisters of Mercy came to the Diocese of Bathurst from Charleville, Ireland with Bishop Matthew Quinn in 1866. They immediately set about establishing a convent, a school, a boarding school, an orphanage and, soon after, a novitiate on the site adjacent to the Cathedral of St. Michael and John. Over the next few years, they opened convents and schools all along the Western line: Orange, Wellington, Dubbo, Narromine, Trangie, Bourke, as well as Mudgee, Forbes, Glen Davis, Carcoar and Binnaway.
After the Second Vatican Council’s call to religious to update and renew in the early 1960’s, the ministries of the Sisters diversified, focusing more on the needs of marginalised people and working for changes to unjust social structures. Some Sisters also moved into teaching in secular and Catholic tertiary institutions.
The Bathurst Sisters of Mercy were one of 17 independent Mercy Congregations in Australia until, in 2011, they joined in the formation of the Institute of the Sisters of Mercy of Australia and Papua New Guinea comprising 900 Sisters. They continue to work in ministries that make visible the spiritual and corporal works of mercy and are responding to Pope John Paul II’s call to ecological conversion.
| Sisters of Mercy with
Aunty Elsie Heiss
| Sr Ann Maree O'Beirne rsm with
Indigenous children from a
community she worked in
| Sr Carmel Carroll rsm in
| Sr Patricia Powell rsm with children at
Rahamim working on the pond