Bishop McKenna officially names and blesses John Therry House

Bishop Michael McKenna officially named and blessed John Therry House on 13 August, giving the previous Kelso Nursing Home a new mission and lease of life.

Members of the local community, including State Member for Bathurst, Mr Paul Toole, and representatives from local advocacy groups, joined with Bishop Michael to celebrate this milestone.

The Catholic Diocese of Bathurst purchased the previous Kelso Nursing Home in late 2019 and has since entered into a lease agreement with Housing Plus to manage and operate the premises. 

Housing Plus will relocate its existing Bathurst-based community services to the centre. These include tenancy and maintenance services and its training and employment program - Opportunity Pathways, which supports social housing clients to access practical and financial assistance, training and work opportunities to help them prepare for employment, find a job, work more hours or improve their employment options.The new Housing Plus office will also contain meeting, conference and event facilities for up to 60 people.

The Bathurst and Lithgow Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Service will also operate from John Therry House.

The pioneer Catholic priest, Father John Joseph Therry (1790-1864), was an advocate for the forgotten, including the Aboriginal people, in the Australian colonies from 1820 until his death. In November 1830, he celebrated the first Mass in this region, at the Golden Fleece Inn at Kelso. He had been called from Sydney to minister to the convict, Ralf Entwhistle, who was to be hanged on 2nd November, along with nine other men - all part of the notorious Ribbon Gang. 

Housing Plus is currently waiting on a development application to be approved by Bathurst Regional Council to move forward with the planned renovations of the building.


↑ Back to top